Tuesday 31 March 2015

FASHION OBSERVATIONS


Over the past month or so, due to a flurry of "creative spurs", I've developed an interest for fashion. Yes, fashion. The stereotypical career choice for a hormonal adolescent (or so I think). Infact, for me, and probably most other young children, a fashion designer was a response to those "what do you want to be when your older?" questions which cause you to fall into an endless pit of hopes, regrets and the tough realisation that you may never "find yourself". *deep breath*. Well, of course, I wasn't that serious as a youngen but I got carried away, okay? 

Anyway, thanks to the aid of my oh so beautiful florescent GREEN notebook and a variety of "calming" songs, I've been happily jotting down whatever design, pattern or ingenious creation comes to mind. And when I'm not doing that, I'm on Pinterest. Something I had a long break of after having deleted the app due to "phone storage issues". This, however, meant a refreshing installment of marvelous, almost envying pins in which make me want to weep in a corner - I'm aiming that last sentence at the "architecture and interior design" section. Aswell as bursts of colour, illustrations and a tonne of stationary, it is bursting with high end fashion, catwalks and designers. The inspiration levels are at a constant high. However, after a loooong ass introduction (which should make up for my lack of blogging), I am finally ready to get to the point. Observations. Fashion observations. After my non-stop researching, pinning and searching through fashion books, I've noticed many trends which I want to share with youu (with the added of bonus of my opinion - hope you don't mind!) Best we get started eh?

70's
- decoupage 
- culottes 
- fringe
So the decade for this season is the 70s. This, meaning flares, fringe and bold prints are back. Although sometimes subtle, you'll be noticing 70s inspired trends sprinkled around catwalks and high street shops. 

BACKSTAGE. Spring-Summer 2015 Ready-to-Wear show. Photos by Benoit Peverelli
70S COLLAR 



- SHEER
- sheer cutouts
- chiffon pleated skirts (maxi)
- over layers
Now this is something I've been spotting incessantly. All over Pinterest, all over London Fashion Week, all over any SS15 collection. Chiffon, although thin and almost revealing, it can be very versatile and looks perfect when layering. Apron, kinda, over layers are yet another trend which I found whilst researching and in my 70s paper doll book. And, as chiffon is translucent, you can see anything patterned underneath adding flair to your outfit. 
Hsiao Ron Cheng X LES

Versace SS15
Delpozo Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear
SS14 Ostwald Helgason
backstage at Blumarine SS15 
Michael Kors Spring 2015
taka nata ready to wear ss15
- YELLOW
- yellow coats, yellow bags, yellow everything
If you happen to walk into any remotely "fashionable" high street shop (ie : topshop, river island), you may, upon entrance, have been greeted by an excessive amount of yellow. Well, I have anyway. Once being a colour, scrutinised for wearing, now the centre of attention. I, personally, have always been a fan of yellow and you might have noticed that at some point throughout my blog. And, although I am happy I've been "somewhat" ahead of the trend on this one, I liked standing out minus any unnecessary drama. Despite me saying that, I haven't noticed that many people brightening the streets - maybe I just don't go out a lot. (P.S side story which you may or may not want to ignore: after the sun started to make an appearance, I decided to finally wear my yellow rain coat (mentioned here) to school. Only to find someone else, older than me, with pretty much the exact same (bright enough to be spot from a mile away). Well, I have had many compliments, mostly from teachers reminiscing their "raving days" or trying to crack a joke by pointing out its blatant brightness.) 
Delpozo Spring 2015 Ready to wear

delpozo at New York Spring 2015



CLUTCHES
- fur + suede
Clutches, although reasonably unpractical, can add something special to any outfit. I've noticed many fur and suede clutches around and have made a few too. 
Burberry Prorsum Spring 2015














 TWO PIECE SETS
- suits
- top and skirt
Since around last year I've seen so many two piece sets, whether two piece dresses or woman's suits. I personally love them and it certainly would take a lot less time deciding what to wear!
Samantha Pleet SS15
Samantha Pleet SS15 
Matthew Williamson SS15

- PLATFORMS
- transparent heels
- chunky soles
This should actually be under the 70s section but I felt it deserved its own little mention. I have seen many platforms with clear heels which seem almost glass slipper like, adding something magical to an, otherwise, ordinary boot or shoe. 
Calvin Klein SS15
Christian Dior Haute SS15
Also I've been loving chunky soles and creepers. Making you look edgy and taller!
Fyodor golan SS15 (omg love these)

NO NECK 
- turtlenecks
- neck scarves
I struggled naming this section but settles for "no neck" as I've noticed many pieces that cover your neck. These mainly being neck scarves and turtle necks. I was initially doubtful of the turtlenecks, having worn them when they represented middle aged women.

DKNY AW15 NYFW




















I feel like this post was like one of those "just a quick chat" moments which end up being 2 teas, a coffee, and lunch. (From my parent's experience)
Anyway, I've actually been writing this post over a long period time, hence the loooong gap between my last ordinary post. I'm hoping for this to actually be the beginning of a three part fashion series although I can't be sure of when the next post will be up! 

So what was your favourite trend? Drop a comment below! 

- dali :)




No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?